India is the most culturally diverse country in the world and has achieved numerous feats since its independence. But if we talk mainly about the education that forms the nation’s future, there are various things to consider. Despite lakhs of schools in the country, educational practices lacked quality until the National Curriculum Framework was introduced through National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
Let us understand the National Curriculum Framework and its purpose.
What Is the National Curriculum Framework?
A National curriculum framework is a standardised format, organised plan, or learning outcome that drives the curriculum for courses. It focuses on defining the clear outcomes expected the students to know in their course.
The National Curriculum Framework (NCF) is developed based on the vision of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020. The Foundational Stage of NEP refers to children aged between 3 to 8 years across the entire range of institutions in India. This is the first stage in the 5+3+3+4 curricular and pedagogical restructuring of school education, as introduced in NEP 2020.
The elements that constitute and bring the curriculum to life include goals and objectives, syllabus, content to be taught and learnt, teaching learning materials, pedagogical practices and assessment, school and classroom practices, learning environment and culture of the institution, and more.
Moreover, other matters affect a curriculum and its practice or are related while not being within the curriculum. These include the teachers and their capacities, issues of access to institutions, resources available, the involvement of parents and communities, administrative and support structures, and more.
Objectives of National Curriculum Framework
The National Curriculum Framework’s overarching objective is to transform India’s school education system as envisioned in NEP 2020 through corresponding changes in the curriculum, including pedagogy.
In particular, the NCF aims to change educational practices and not just ideas. Since the word ‘curriculum’ incorporates the overall experiences that a student has in school, ‘practices’ do not just refer to curricular content and pedagogy but also involve the school environment and culture. It imparts an overall holistic transformation of the curriculum that enables us to transform entire learning experiences for students positively.
Characteristics of National Curriculum Framework
- The National Curriculum Framework aims to provide the interested reader with a reasonable understanding of what education should look like in our modern vision for schools, and why, and what role individuals could play as community members, parents, and citizens of India, who all have a large stake in Indian education.
- Nevertheless, this NCF is structured with the Teacher as the primary focus – because the Teacher is a vital element in the practice of education. The Teacher is ultimately the torch bearer for the changes we look for.
- NCF aims to adopt a presentation style and structure that enables the above objectives of readability, accessibility, and relevance to educators. While it aims to express the underlying philosophy and principles, it does not simply leave it at the abstraction but also brings it to practice.
- The National Curriculum Framework also aims to account for the reality of the present typical institution and Teacher while being in harmony with the imagination of the best-resourced institutions. Thus, NCF aims to be intensely rooted in the reality of our context yet aspirational.
What Is Teaching Learning Material?
Teachers can make their classes interesting and more significant for the students by using articles or materials to aid their verbal depictions. Utilising a huge assortment of materials is found to enhance better comprehension of ideas and to make learning seriously fascinating. Teaching learning material is also known as Instructional Material or Teaching Aids.
Today, with the emphasis on learning in a student-centric methodology, students need an ever-escalating number of materials to enhance their ability to learn together or independently. Teaching learning material becomes fundamental to having an exceptional comprehension of the nature of the subject matter.
Why Do We Need Teaching Learning Material?
Given below are reasons why teaching learning material is vital to learning:
- Learning new ideas becomes easy if the student is given recognisable materials linked with the subject matter.
- Typically little children are drawn to objects of numerous tones and measures and show their interest in controlling these in various manners, which, when fed cautiously, assists with fostering a propensity for playing with an assortment of articles. This helps in upgrading their creativity.
- Teaching learning materials are required for effective self-learning. With the utilisation of proper materials, one can learn absolute power over the speed of learning on their own.
- By utilising teaching learning materials, teachers become amicable; a pleasant environment is built, which significantly helps in learning.
The educational system in India has undergone crucial changes since the National Policy on Education (NPE) 1986. These changes include advancements in science and technology and individual rights. The National Curriculum Framework 2022 enables teachers to make improvements in providing quality education. Many teachers feel that it escalates their study level and enhances their skills.
Lately, various laws have made new obligations and responsibilities for school teachers. Therefore, teachers can use the National Curriculum Framework’s guidelines to enhance the overall teaching and learning experience.